Are You Prepared for a COVID-19 Second Wave?
As we pass the half-year mark of living with COVID-19, companies across the United States and the world are resuming operations, supply chains are up and running and people are returning to work. Everyone seems to be settling in to our “new normal” where taking temperatures, wearing a mask and social distancing don’t seem to be that unusual anymore. But, before we get too comfortable and assume the worst is over, companies should be making plans for a COVID-19 second wave that could come crashing down this Fall.
George Bailey, Executive Director and CRO of Digital Supply Chain Institute believes that a second wave could be much more devastating to supply chains than the first wave. He cites the following four reasons:
- Global reactions turn negative very quickly. Employees who fear exposure to the virus may resist returning to work because of significant health risks.
- Companies can face even lower demand because of stay-at-home rules and high levels of unemployment.
- Suppliers can fail and shipments may not be made if a second wave is significant.
- The total number of people who get sick in the second wave might be much higher than the first wave.
So, how do you prepare for a COVID-19 Second Wave? Below are three things you can do now:
- Outlast the Current Impact of COVID-19. This includes creating a cross-functional plan and team to match demand and supply, reduce SKUs, prioritize customers, manage cash flow, and protect employee health. This is a daunting task, but it’s essential. Most companies have already started this process, but a second wave scenario should be addressed and time is of the essence.
- Design Your Second Wave Game Plan. Now is the time to reach agreements with suppliers, to shift production to more resilient locations, and determine what you will do to protect employee health. Invest in people and things that you will need in the future. Set some thresholds for expense and demand management and prepare to act.
- Purchase Supplies You Will Need for Fall and Flu Season Including:
Manufacturers, healthcare organizations, schools and other businesses will be seeking these items as well, so don’t wait to secure them before it’s too late. Plus, new and innovative products have emerged that make temperature checks and sanitizing large areas much easier and faster. An investment in products that make these tasks more efficient could save you time and money.
Don’t get wiped out by a COVID-19 Second Wave! Contact your Martin Sales Rep for the latest in COVID-19 Essentials or call 800.828.8116.
Martin Corporate Headquarters
125 North Court Street
Florence, AL 35630
P: (800) 828-8116