By Martin Supply •
The Ins and Outs of Lockout/Tagout
Master Lock Safety Solutions and Martin offer the products and services you need to help you stay compliant.
What is Lockout/Tagout?
In 1989, OSHA introduced Standard 29 CFR 1910.147 The Control of Hazardous Energy in order to establish lockout tagout compliance requirements for general industry. Lockout/Tagout is the process of controlling hazardous energy during the service and maintenance of machinery and equipment. These safety specific work procedures safeguard employees from accidental injuries or even death.
The Control of Hazardous Energy (lockout/tagout) has been listed within OSHA‘s Top 10 most frequently cited standards for several years. Non-compliance with this standard has resulted in thousands of worker related injuries and even deaths. Lockout/Tagout procedures are utilized to protect employees from the dangers of hazardous energy and ensure they go home safely every day.
How to Implement a Lockout/Tagout System
The 1910.147 standard stated above establishes requirements for facilities to implement and employees to follow. In order to keep employees safe and to comply with the OSHA standard, facilities must:
- Develop – create a lockout/tagout program specific to the machinery in your facility, including equipment that is not capable of being locked out
- Implement – use lockout devices for equipment that can be locked out and tagout devices to identify who is performing maintenance
- Train – teach employees the lockout/tagout procedures and be sure authorized employees can perform the procedure accurately
- Enforce – monitor and maintain that the implemented procedures are being performed
- Inspect – lockout/tagout procedures as well as employees should be audited at least annually
OSHA Requirements for Padlocks & Devices
The OSHA Lockout/Tagout standard outlines five requirements that all safety padlocks and devices must meet. Master Lock Safety Solutions™ padlocks and devices were designed to meet all of these requirements:
Contact your Martin Sales Rep or call 800.828.8116 to find the right LOTO solution using Master Lock Safety Solutions padlocks and devices.
Subscribe to the Blog!
- Emergency Eyewash Stations: A Must-Have in Your Manufacturing Plant’s Safety Arsenal
- Advantages of Advantages of Hiring a Third-Party to Manage Your MRO and Industrial Storeroom or Tool Crib
- Why Industrial Vending Solutions Are Essential for a Productive Workforce
- Four Basic Types of Abrasives
- Four Things That Keep Maintenance Managers Up at Night
Comments for this post are closed.